Why I don't like Tragedy.

 Why I don't like Tragedy. 

I can with ease say that I don't like tragedy.  In any way.  Perhaps I might elaborate that i don't like Shakespeare's tragedies. 

English class after English class, play after play, I more and more realize that tragedies are not for me. After reading Romeo and Juliet I realized that if all play was based on both delulu people who in the end die because of the lack of communication then I dont want to read it. But every year we revisit the world of Shakespeare and his wonderful tragedies to analyze people like the tragedy of  Othello, Romeo and Juliet, and many more.  So, what exactly I do not like about these plays. 

Why are they all based on love? Who broke Shakespeare's heart and made him a monster who would kill couples brutally. One choked his wife because of his honor and then proceeded to stab himself, and two delulu teenagers drank poison because they were so in love. But every play we read was based on the love and betrayal of a close friend like Que "honest Iago" the walking irony in the Tragedy of Othello.  Perhaps is not that it is all based on love is just I don't like knowing that everyone will die in the end and those swings of OMG maybe they won't die OMG how stupid they died. It's being able to know what's coming and wanting to prevent it but knowing that you can't prevent it so u just constantly in the state of what happens next how do they die. SO yeah I don't like that, I don't like being in constant what next and being in such a rise of worry in each scene. 

I would want to see the tragedy not only about love but maybe friendship or the tragedy of losing a pet. That would be much more interesting and different. But I guess it wasn't really popular as affairs and lying friends with betrayal and secret love were more popular back then. 



Even though I don't like tragedies and I don't enjoy that main characters are so easy to manipulate just because someone is Honest like Iago, I found this play quite interesting (even though I joined halfway through it). It's always so interesting how the logic works in this play and how actually is easy to place an idea in someone's head if you attack or trigger their weak spot. For someone like Othello, it was easy to trigger the weak spot knowing his background as a slave and being black so it took one handkerchief to drive him mad. 



Othello is like Rodrigo who is manipulated by Honestly of Iago, Iago finds his weak spot in Rodrigo which is his love for Desdemona, and takes it to his advantage by stabbing Rodrigo in the back (literally) to escalate the situation and to save his own back.  Iago is just an interesting character in a way that everyone thought he is so honest and Othello being delulu even "married" Iago once he blindly believed Iago did not know how Iago talked about Othello behind his back. 

how did he do it i have no clue but it worked somehow
 The marriage scene.

In the end, no matter that iago got caught he got what he wanted even though I have no clue why he wanted to kill Othello or if one is just borns to hate someone for no goddamn reason. In the end, even though iago gets caught he gets what he wants which is the death of Othello and his wife. there is no escape in Shakespeare's wrath on couples because every ending is the death of the couple. even though I would really enjoy it if Othello would be the one torturing iago after that. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Read or dont read? Thats the big question.

Why do festival rides make me think of books.

There is two point of views in my brain